With Easter just around the corner, I thought it was pressing to remind us all the reason for why dogs need to avoid chocolate. While our furry friends may love the smell and may stare at us lovingly as we engorge ourselves over Easter, please resist the temptation to share - chocolate is toxic to dogs!
The chemical compound Theobromine is a nerve irritant and when our divine dogs consume chocolate, it typically affects the cardio vascular system, central nervous system and kidneys.
If your dog has consumed chocolate, please contact your veterinarian immediately for advice. Symptoms may include:
Vomiting (may include blood)
Increased body temperature
Low blood pressure
Increased reflex responses
Restlessness and hyperactivity
Increased heart rate
Advanced signs (cardiac failure, weakness, and coma)
So this Easter, make sure all Easter eggs are out of paws reach!
When I was 14 years old, I was heading off to a Basketball Camp for the Easter break. The night before I left, my bags were packed, including a bag full of Easter eggs. When we awoke that morning, the Easter eggs were nowhere to be found. After a little more investigating we found the evidence. Tiny pieces of foil spread across the backyard. Moscow the labrador had decided to celebrate early. Luckily he was ok. This was a very important lesson.
Don't risk it. Like the Oreo ad says “Mum said chocolate isn't good for dogs. But you can have the rest of my milk.”